Correctly Resizing Images For Web
Correctly saving your images for the web is vital to your website’s user experience, loading speed and SEO quality.
Consider the following when uploading images to your website:
- What are the images being used for?
- How large should the file be?
- What type of images should be used for different areas on your site?
No matter the sizing of the image, there are a few guidelines that you can follow when you upload pictures:
- File types: Save images as jpg, .gif, .svg or .png format. Remember pdf, .psd, .tff, and .doc files aren’t web-compatible.
- Filename: Only use letters, numbers, underscores and hyphens in filenames.
- Resolution: Resize images to 72ppi or 150ppi for best results.
- File Size : Try to keep images under 250KB. For select header / hero images you can go up to 1.5MB.
- Full-Screen Images: Saving these images at 2400x1600px to ensure crisp display across all screen sizes.
- Galleries: Make sure your gallery images have a max-width of 2000px for landscape and a height of 2000px for a portrait.